Burjeel Holdings IPO
Burjeel Holdings is a leading MENA private healthcare services provider known for its quality and clinical excellence, operating an integrated network of hospitals and medical centers across the UAE and Oman.How To Subscribe
On 24th September 2022, Burjeel Holdings announced its intention to list on the Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange (ADX). This section of our website contains more information about Burjeel Holdings, our planned listing and the steps you need to take to subscribe for shares.
Founded in 2007, Burjeel Holdings is one of the leading regional private healthcare service providers in the UAE and Oman, operating as an integrated network across primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary care, with our expansion into the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia commencing shortly. With a network of 39 hospitals and medical centres, Burjeel Holdings is a leading healthcare provider in the UAE private market with an in-patient market share of approximately 17 per cent. and an out-patient market share of approximately 12 per cent.
Key Milestones in our Growth
LLH Hospital, Abu Dhabi
Launched our multi-specialty hospital providing affordable care in Abu Dhabi.
Burjeel Hospital, Abu Dhabi
Launched our quaternary care multi-specialty hospital in Abu Dhabi.
Burjeel Hospital for Advanced Surgery, Dubai
Launched our advanced microsurgery and orthopedic center, providing access to advanced care in the UAE.
Lifecare Hospital, Musaffah
Launched our multi-specialty hospital to offer medical care in the industrial area of Abu Dhabi.
Tajmeel Specialized Medical Center, Abu Dhabi
Launched our premier medical center offering dermatology, dental and pediatric services.
Burjeel Royal Hospital, Al Ain
Launched our luxurious, state-of-the-art healthcare facility to provide the most advanced medical care.
Burjeel Medical City, Abu Dhabi
Launched our world-class quaternary care hospital providing extensive medical services in a luxurious environment.
Burjeel Farha, Al Ain
Launched Burjeel Farha, a multi-specialty hospital in Al Ain, to provide the highest quality healthcare in the region.
Listed on the Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange
“Listed on the Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange (ADX) on 10 October 2022.”
Launched Paley Middle East Clinic
Dr. Dror Paley has launched the Paley Middle East Clinic within the Burjeel Medical City in Abu Dhabi in partnership with Burjeel Holdings.
Secured contract to manage Al Dhannah Hospital
Awarded a contract to operate and manage the 122-bed multi-specialty facility Al Dhannah Hospital, owned by ADNOC.
LLH Hospital, Musaffah
Launched our multi-specialty hospital to provide affordable care in the industrial district of Musaffah, Abu Dhabi.
Lifecare Hospital, Baniyas
Launched our multi-specialty hospital to offer medical care in the industrial area of Abu Dhabi.
Tajmeel Kids Park Medical Center, Abu Dhabi
Launched our premier medical center to provide comprehensive medical care for children and adolescents.
Medeor Hospital, Abu Dhabi & Dubai
Opened two multi-specialty hospitals offering affordable, quality healthcare in a friendly environment.
Burjeel Day Surgery Center, Abu Dhabi
Launched our day surgery center designed to help patients get back to their lives quickly and comfortably.
Burjeel Specialty Hospital, Sharjah
Launched our multi-specialty hospital to provide the highest level of care and comfort to the people of the Sharjah region.
Kypros Nicolaides Fetal Medicine & Therapy Center
Launched the first comprehensive fetal medicine center in the region for diagnosing and treating fetal disorders.
IHC takes minority stake in Burjeel Holdings
Experienced Abu Dhabi healthcare investor International Holding Company acquired a 15% stake in Burjeel Holdings.
Announced Kingdom of Saudi Arabia expansion
Announced our MoU with the KSA Ministry of Investment and our intention to seek opportunities to invest up to USD $1.0 billion in KSA by 2030.
Launched Advanced Gynecology Institute
Launched the Advanced Gynecology Institute at Burjeel Medical City to Offer Complex Care Solutions for Women. It houses the IFEMEndo Middle East Clinic (Franco-European Multidisciplinary Institute for Endometriosis).
First interim dividend payment announced
Confirmation of first interim dividend payment, with an intention to return approximately AED 95 million to shareholders in August 2023.
Burjeel Holdings provides a comprehensive healthcare ecosystem to patients across the full socio-economic spectrum under the Burjeel, Medeor, LLH, Lifecare and Tajmeel brands, each of which is positioned to serve a different target demographic.
- The Group focuses on attracting, training and developing the best and most innovative consultants to drive medical advancements in the MENA region, through a unique culture of “physician-led” practices.
- The Group’s strong clinical team has been responsible for the Group’s growth to date and remains committed to delivering quality and clinical excellence going forward.
- The Group has been developing highly specialised, complex and personalised services in oncology, orthopaedics and spine, woman care and paediatrics.
- The UAE and Oman healthcare markets benefit from strong fundamentals and growth drivers which support the Group’s expansion.
- The UAE and Oman increased their healthcare expenditure from U.S.$12.4 billion and U.S.$2.9 billion, respectively, in 2016, to U.S.$18.0 billion and U.S.$3.5 billion, respectively, in 2021. They are expected to further expand healthcare investments to U.S.$34.0 billion and U.S.$5.3 billion, respectively, by 2031.
- The Group has a private market leading position in the UAE in terms of volumes, with a total bed capacity of 1,660 beds as at 30 June 2022 and 4.8 million out-patients and 104,965 in-patients treated across its hospital network in 2021, representing a UAE private market in-patient market share as at 30 June 2021 of approximately 17 per cent.
- The Group’s integrated healthcare network serves patients in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Dubai & the Northern Emirates in the UAE, as well as Oman, across all healthcare segments and covers the full socio-economic spectrum through the Group’s four leading brands.
- The Group has a strong and well-invested medical services portfolio that is built around an integrated “hub and spoke” feeder network across primary, secondary and tertiary segments.
- The Group has a track record of strong financial performance and consistent growth that has been driven by its ramp-up of assets launched in recent years and supported by its focus on treating a higher-end patient mix and cost optimisation.
- For the years ended 31 December 2019, 2020 and 2021, the Group’s revenue was AED 2,420.5 million, AED 2,605.2 million and AED 3,351.0 million, respectively, representing a CAGR of 17.7 per cent.
- For the years ended 31 December 2019, 2020 and 2021, the Group’s EBITDA was AED 417.9 million, AED 470.2 million and AED 779.1 million, respectively, representing a CAGR of 36.5 per cent.
Total Patients Treated (FY 22)
Revenue (FY 22)
EBITDA (FY 22)
Net Profit (FY 22)
Revenue CAGR (19-22)
EBITDA CAGR (19-22)
EBITDA Margin (FY 22)
Dr. Shamsheer Vayalil
“I am delighted to announce our intention to list on ADX providing a unique opportunity for investors to participate in an Abu Dhabi, UAE and MENA growth story. Our long-term vision focused on increasing access to quality healthcare and clinical excellence across the region has driven our growth over the past 15 years and today we are one of the leading private healthcare services platforms in the UAE with an unmatched patient offering and diversified portfolio of 16 hospitals, including our flagship facility Burjeel Medical City, and 23 medical centres, across the UAE and Oman.
“Today’s announcement builds on our partnership with IHC which will have a transformative impact for Burjeel Holdings through the addition of new capabilities, capital, and access to new markets. As healthcare expenditure continues to increase across the region, Burjeel Holdings is strongly positioned to benefit through our focus on providing complex, specialized medicine for all socioeconomic groups, through a targeted, multi-brand strategy. Our strength is reflected in our strong and profitable financial performance, where we recorded compound annual revenue growth of 18% between 2019-2021 and EBITDA growth of 37%.
“As we mark another significant milestone in our journey today, I’m confident that our robust business model, relentless focus on clinical excellence, world-class people and strong commitment to governance will all play key roles in the next chapter of our story.”
“Driven by our pursuit to deliver high-quality and accessible healthcare, we have placed sustainability at the heart of our decision-making framework. We continually strive to enhance the positive impact of our operations and deliver long-term value for all our stakeholders.” – Dr. Shamsheer Vayalil, Chairman.
Burjeel Holdings is committed to improving its ESG performance, implementing initiatives and making investments that elevate the performance of its businesses, while reducing environmental impacts, adding value to its communities and employees, and ensuring strong governance across the business.
Burjeel Holdings continues to focus on minimizing the environmental impact of its operations, with dedicated site programs related to greenhouse gas reduction, waste management and reducing other impacts. The group complies with all applicable legal and regulatory environmental standards to best serve patients, visitors, employees and the environment, following best practice in the management of energy usage and consumption, and the disposal of waste.
The group aims to achieve:
- Carbon neutrality by 2030
- Sustainable use and re-use of water by 2030
- Zero waste to landfill by 2030
Recently completed environmental projects include:
- Fully automated HVAC operation: Complete HVAC operations from chiller plant to the field units are operated through the logical program in the BMS system. This ensures staging of Chillers, pumps, AHUs, FAHUs, FCUs etc. to minimum required load based on actual demand.
- Centralized solar water heating system: Centralized solar water heater system includes solar collector panels at the roof level of all the towers.
Burjeel Holdings is committed to supporting, protecting, serving and engaging with key stakeholders including employees, physicians, patients and the communities served. The group proudly provides meaningful contributions in many ways, making a positive and lasting impact.
Some of Burjeel Holdings’ recent social initiatives include:
- Over 10,000 free mammograms for breast cancer awareness and screening through a dedicated mobile mammography unit since 2010.
- Donations to the Indian Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund for Jammu & Kashmir Flood Victims.
Burjeel Holdings is committed to the highest levels of governance and in 2022 appointed a Board of Directors with significant international industry and governance experience to help guide the company through its next phase of expansion. This Board of Directors is supported by an Audit Committee, a Nomination and Remuneration Committee and a Clinical and Medical Advisory Committee.
The Clinical and Medical Advisory Committee will provide support and advice to the Board in relation to programs for clinical pathways, the standardisation of care, the identification of best-practice standards, quality and patient safety related KPIs and quality improvement programs. It shall also support and advise on training, mentoring and development, and provide a connection to, and ongoing exchange of information and ideas with, practitioners in the field and other external contacts.
Across all its brands and businesses, Burjeel Holdings has implemented effective and transparent governance frameworks, in line with best in class standards and regulatory requirements.
30 September 2022
Offering commencement date
5 October 2022
Announcement of Final Offer Price
8 October 2022
SMS Confirmation to all successful subscribers, commencement of refunds
4 October 2022
Closing Date of First and Second Tranches
No Later Than 6 October 2022
Allocation of First Tranche
10 October 2022
Expected date of Listing the Shares on ADX
IPO Documents & Downloads
To subscribe to the Burjeel Holdings IPO please follow the below steps. Further detailed information can be found in the prospectus.
Make sure you have your ADX Investor Number (NIN)
If you don’t have a NIN, you can register for one instantly with your UAE Pass through the ADX SAHMI app or by calling the ADX call center on 800239. If you are unsure whether you already have a NIN, please call ADX customer service center on 800239 or email email@example.com.
Read the Prospectus document
Review the content and documents on this IPO webpage to get more information about the company and its initial public offering. The Prospectus document provides all material information about the company and the IPO.
Make an informed decision
Once you have familiarized yourself with the company, you can make an informed investment decision.
Subscribe to the Offering
If you have decided that you would like to invest, you can subscribe to the offering through the Receiving Bank, First Abu Dhabi Bank (“FAB”), or through the ADX eportal - e-IPO Portal (adx.ae). Further information about how to subscribe through FAB can be found further down this page, and in the Prospectus document.
Allocation of Shares
You will be notified of the number of shares allocated to you. You may or may not receive the full allocation of your order. Any excess funds will be refunded to you.
Burjeel Holdings is one of the leading regional private healthcare service providers in the UAE and Oman, operating as an integrated network across primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary medical care services. It provides a comprehensive healthcare ecosystem to patients across the full socio-economic spectrum through its four key market leading brands, Burjeel, Medeor, LLH and Lifecare.
The Group consists of a fully-funded network of 16 hospitals, 23 medical centres (including polyclinics and specialty medical centres with dental, cosmetic, homecare services, a specialised orthopaedics centre and IVF centres) and 15 pharmacies, as well as seven entities conducting allied services such as central procurement (e.g., GPO), revenue cycle management, centralised diagnostics, central warehousing and patient valet parking services. Leveraging its clinical expertise and strengths in research and development, the Group will also provide medical education and research through its College of Medicine at Burjeel Medical City (BMC) , beginning in 2023.
Burjeel Holdings provides a comprehensive healthcare ecosystem to patients across the full socio-economic spectrum through its four key market leading brands, Burjeel, Medeor, LLH, Lifecare and Tajmeel.
Burjeel Holdings’ growth strategy is focused on a number of key areas:
- Ramping up of growth assets
The Group intends to increase patient volumes in its medium-growth and high-growth assets by increasing in-patient capacity utilisation, together with increased out-patient capacity utilisation offering a significant upside.
- Increasing patient yield
In addition to expanding the range of services provided at its medical facilities, the Group also intends to optimise the utilisation and revenue-generating capabilities of its existing services and facilities, thereby maximising patient yield. The Group will also continue to develop and enhance its complementary long-term care and rehabilitation services that are provided through Burjeel Darak and its central diagnostics and radiology services that are provided through Co-Lab.
- Operational excellence
The Group intends to continue to focus on enhancing its patients’ experience through the provision of personalised care underpinned by a strong digital backbone that optimises operational performance.The Group will continue to invest in its systems and controls, centralisation of services and upgrades of the digital capabilities to ensure that they drive best practice across its operations and support the continued delivery of high-quality services while also enhancing efficiencies and profitability.
- Geographic expansion
In addition to continued organic growth, over the next five years, the Group intends to expand its portfolio in the Middle East and Africa, and particularly the KSA, by entering into joint ventures, partnerships and similar arrangements with strong, local partners.
The Group has a track record of strong financial performance and consistent growth that has been driven by its ramp-up of assets launched in recent years and supported by its focus on treating a higher-end patient mix and cost optimisation.
For the years ended 31 December 2019, 2020 and 2021, the Group’s revenue was AED 2,420.5 million, AED 2,605.2 million and AED 3,351.0 million, respectively, representing a CAGR of 17.7 per cent. The growth in the Group’s revenue was organic and largely driven by the ramp-up of Burjeel Medical City (BMC), Burjeel Hospital, Abu Dhabi and Medeor Hospital, Abu Dhabi and supported by the focus on a higher-end patient mix, such as Thiqa patients at Burjeel facilities and middle-income patients at Medeor facilities.
For the years ended 31 December 2019, 2020 and 2021, the Group’s EBITDA was AED 417.9 million, AED 470.2 million and AED 779.1 million, respectively, representing a CAGR of 36.5 per cent.
For the six months ended 30 June 2022, the Group had revenue of AED 1,898.4 million, EBITDA of AED 414.2 million, and net profit of AED 152.9 million.
Burjeel Holdings has several competitive strengths that make it a compelling investment story, which are described in greater detail in the prospectus document, available on Burjeel Holdings’ IPO website.
- Unique vision and strategy focused on quality and clinical excellence
- Large, attractive and resilient growth markets
- Leading healthcare services platform in the UAE with unmatched patient offering and diversification
- Highly scalable platform focused on operational excellence and sustainability
- Primed to deliver strong / predictable growth, recurring revenue and profitability
For further information and before making any investment decision, please read the Prospectus found on the IPO microsite including the “Investment Risks” section.
The Company’s ability to pay dividends is dependent on a number of factors and there is no assurance the company will be able to pay dividends or, if a dividend is paid, what the amount of such dividend will be.
Subject to the paragraph above, the Company intends to pay cash dividends from 2023 onwards, on the expected basis of a pay-out ratio of 40 to 70 per cent. of net income, dependent on required investment for additional growth plans. In the absence of any attractive investment opportunities that meet the Group’s investment criteria and return thresholds, the Group will distribute dividends at the upper end of the pay-out ratio range or potentially higher. The first interim dividend is expected to be paid in the second half of 2023 on the basis of net income for the first half of 2023. Any dividends are expected to be paid in cash. Please see the Prospectus for further detail.
The Company intends to use the net proceeds from the issue of the New Shares for general corporate purposes.
In addition, the Company intends to use a portion of the proceeds from the sale of the New Shares and approximately AED 247.0 million of the proceeds from the sale of the Sale Shares (which amount will be remitted by the Lead Receiving Bank to the Company on the Listing Date in settlement of the Selling Shareholder Payable) to pay certain of the Group’s outstanding indebtedness.
Any remaining net proceeds from the sale of the Sale Shares by the Selling Shareholder after the settlement of the Selling Shareholder Payable will be for the sole benefit of the Selling Shareholder. The Offering will provide the Selling Shareholder with an opportunity for a partial realisation of its shareholding in the Company.
The offering comprises up to 550,729,221 shares split into two tranches.
The First Tranche of the offering, comprising 10% of the offer, will be open to individual subscribers and other investors who do not qualify as Professional Investors. A NIN with ADX and bank account number in the UAE is required for applying for shares.
The Second Tranche of the offering, comprising 90% of the offer, will be open to Professional Investors. A NIN with ADX is required however a bank account in the UAE is not required.
Subscriptions will open on 30 September 2022, with First and Second Tranche Investor subscriptions closing on 4 October 2022. The final offer price announcement is expected to be made on 5 October 2022.
Please visit the dedicated section on the Burjeel Holdings IPO webpage ‘How to Subscribe’ for information on how to apply for shares through the receiving banks or ADX ePortal.
A NIN is an investor identification number that is used by ADX through which all transaction on the exchange can be initiated included clearing, settlement and trading transaction. All subscribers to the IPO required a NIN to apply for shares.
How do I create an investor number (NIN) to subscribe to the IPO?
Investors can apply for the issuance of an investor number on Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange through one of the following service channels:
- SAHMI digital platform (for Emirates ID card holders with UAE Pass)
- Accredited Brokerage Firms
- Customer service offices at all branches of the Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange.
The following documents are required to issue a NIN:
- Original Emirates ID card. (For UAE citizens and residents holding Emirates identity)
- Passport and ID card from the country of residence for foreigners not residing in the Emirates and an International Bank Account Number (IBAN) letter, providing that the bank account is solely in the name of the applicant and not a joint bank account
- A valid trade license copy (original for review )
- Company incorporation contract
- Company’s Board of Director members list for the last certified/audited period
- A Letter with the list of all authorized signatories
- International Bank Account Number (IBAN) letter
- Letter of Approval issued by the Central Bank of the United Arab Emirates to start portfolio activity
- A copy of the commercial license of the issuer of the portfolio (original for review )
- List of names and signatures of authorised people from the portfolio, with clarification of powers
- Portfolio Prospectus
- International Bank Account Number (IBAN) letter
- A copy of the free zone license (original for review)
- A list of the company’s board members for the last certified period
- A letter with the list of authorised signatories
- International Bank Account Number (IBAN) letter
For more information please visit www.adx.ae
For eligible First Tranche investors, First Abu Dhabi Bank PJSC has been appointed as the lead receiving bank.
For eligible Second Tranche investors, orders have to be submitted through the Lead Manager, Dubai Islamic Bank PJSC.
- Eligible Investors can place orders with the Lead Manager using the subscription form or the link sent by the Lead Manager.
- The Lead Manager will collect the Order Forms accompanying documents, Eligible Investor’s NIN, and funds from Eligible Investors and share the orders details to the Lead Receiving Bank during the subscription period.
- Allocation will be decided by the Company in accordance with the Allocation Policy set out in this Prospectus and communicated to the Lead Receiving Bank.
- The Lead Manager, will collect the funds, as required, from each Eligible Investor who has placed an order during the Subscription Period.
- Once the allocation of shares has been finalised and communicated to the Lead Manager for the subscription orders received by them, the Lead Manager will transfer the allocated capital funds to the Lead Receiving Bank as a single payment.
For further information, please refer to the full list of FAQs under the ‘IPO Documents & Downloads’ section.
Al Sarab Tower
Abu Dhabi Global Market Square
Al Maryah Island, Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
First Abu Dhabi Bank PJSC
Investor Relations Enquiries
Head of Investor Relations
+971 (0) 230 41111
Managing Director – Teneo
+971 (0) 58 581 4954